Re: question about systemd

On 11/10/14 19:00, Nate Bargmann wrote:
This is the question I have, what are the stated boundaries of the
systemd project?  Have any boundaries/goals been stated in terms of when
systemd will be feature complete?  What is the stated compliance to
POSIX (Google doesn't seem to provide me good results)?

In respect of the first two questions: I am not aware of any such firm statements having been made.

In respect of your third question: Contrary to the implicit expectation that seems to be attached to this question, POSIX.1-2008 appears to have very little to say about how any of the things systemd does are supposed to work.

For example, one might expect that since the System Interfaces volume of POSIX.1-2008 stipulates the existence of the syslog() library function, it might say something about the nature of system logging. What it turns out to say is:

"The syslog() function shall send a message to an implementation-defined logging facility, which may log it in an implementation-defined system log, write it to the system console, forward it to a list of users, or forward it to the logging facility on another host over the network. The logged message shall include a message header and a message body. The message header contains at least a timestamp and a tag string."

(quoted from http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/syslog.html )

I believe the journal constitutes a compliant back-end to POSIX syslog(), no doubt much to many people's disgust.