Re: question about systemd

* On 2014 11 Oct 12:11 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:53:20 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You might want to check your facts:
> >
> > Linus Torvalds "only" created the Linux kernel, which is notoriously
> > monolithic[1].
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate
>
> This is very true, but the kernel knows its boundaries, and doesn't try
> to conquor all sorts of other, non-related, subsystems.

Also, the kernel developers have moved some things out of the kernel
over the years, IIUC.

This is the question I have, what are the stated boundaries of the
systemd project?  Have any boundaries/goals been stated in terms of when
systemd will be feature complete?  What is the stated compliance to
POSIX (Google doesn't seem to provide me good results)?

I realize that no distribution will ever be formally POSIX compliant but
I always thought it was a good goal to work toward.  I really don't want
to see the community abandon POSIX compliance.  No, POSIX is not perfect
and has received a number of revisions over the years.  Without some
kind of goal posts development will be all over the map.  It seems we're
looking at a similar situation today as then which begat POSIX as an
effort to bring some order to the UNIX world a few decades ago.

I fear that we are living the axiom, "Those who do not understand UNIX
are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."

- Nate