Re: question about systemd

On Vi, 10 oct 14, 20:57:09, Peter Zoeller wrote:
> I tell you what why don't you install Fedora the originator of this and try
> to remove systemd and install sysvinit or Upstart and then we will talk.
> Left Fedora for this very reason, lack of choice.

As far as I understand Fedora has different goals, so it's quite natural
for them to make design choices for those goals.

Debian on the other hand has a quite general goal of providing a high
quality free operating system. In practice this means that Debian will
allow many programs providing similar functions to co-exist in the
archive as long as they play nice with each other as much as
possible[1].

However, as a side effect of this the complexity of Debian increases[2].
Having upstream developers and package maintainers support more than one
init system means more work for them. So the only way to ensure Debian
is able to support more init systems is to get involved.

There are many things you can do:

- If you use applications that depend on libpam-systemd help with
  systemd-shim / cgmanager in any way you can
- If you want your services to still run fine under different inits help
  maintain the support for that init[3]
- provide support for other users / write documentation on how to run
  Debian with other init systems
- etc.

It's simply pointless and demotivating to ask "Debian" to do something
for you. The Debian Project is not even a legal entity and its
Developers are free to *not* work on something if they choose so. If
there's nobody willing to do the work IT WILL NOT BE DONE!

[1] there are many examples here, like desktop environments, window
managers, MTAs, webservers, etc.
[2] yep, the complexity argument cuts both ways
[3] e.g. for sysvinit you could help the package maintainer transition
to init-d-script(5), which will make it much easier to maintain sysvinit
support in the long term

Kind regards,
Andrei