Re: question about systemd

On Fri 10 Oct 2014 at 18:50:48 -0400, James Ensor wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Why install sysv-rc, sysvinit and sysvinit-utils? To change from systemd
> > to sysvinit it is surely enough to do
> >
> >      aptitude install sysvinit-core
>
> I did that because I didn't know which one to install, so I just did
> them all.  Doesn't seem to have created any problems, but thanks for
> clarifying sysvinit-core is sufficient

On the present unstable:

sysv-rc is a required package. Systemd depends on it. So it will be on
the system anyway.

sysvinit depends on init, an essential package. It provides an init in
/lib/sysvinit/ in case /sbin/init fails. It needn't be on the system
and can be safely removed if booting with systemd is fine. Not needed
(for obvious reasons) when sysvinit-core is installed.

sysvinit-utils is a required package. sysv-rc depends on it. So it will
be on the system anyway.

No harm done. Different routes taken to the same objective.

> > Yes and no. You have to reboot before this command can be successfully
> > carried out, otherwise the running system will complain very loudly you
> > are doing something it will not obey.
>
> It did complain at this step, gave me a big warning that I was
> removing something that was currently in use, so I did reboot at some
> point, I can't remember if it was before or after purging systemd.
> Could very well have been required to reboot before purging.

Rebooting before removing is indeed necessary.

> > > aptitude purge libsystemd-login0 libsystemd-daemon0
> >
> > Purely optional. Say goodbye to cups-daemon if you purge libsystemd0.
> > (libsystemd-daemon0 is a transitional library on unstable).
>
> I still had libsystemd0 even after doing this, so my cups-daemon
> remained intact it appears.

I mentioned libsystemd0 because the functionality of libsystemd-daemon0,
libsystemd-journal0 and libsystemd-login0 is now all in one library.