Re: question about systemd

On Thu 09 Oct 2014 at 17:44:20 -0400, James Ensor wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >
> > James,
> >
> > Please, please, *please* write down a detailed article on exactly
> > how you did this. I'll help you if you'd like --- I write for a living,
> > a lot of it tech writing.
> >
> > If what you did works for everybody when Jessie goes stable, you've
> > just singlehandedly ended this whole argument. If you want to
> > collaborate on this article, I'll throw an extra hard disk in my
> > experimental box to tech edit your instructions.
> >
> > This just might be good news.
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Again, I just don't see what the big deal is, or why you would need a
> detailed article about how to remove packages from debian.   I'm not

Some people don't really know what is going on with Debian but feel that
offering to write a detailed article would allow them to make others
feel that they did. Not that the article will materialise, with or
without an extra hard disk.

Expressing complete surprise at what you said and crediting it with
uniqueness is a function of a bad memory and not reading what has been
said many times on debian-user. Not worth bothering about. I'd ignore
it; everyone else is trying to.

Anyway, that's enough of this advocacy lark, we will look at the
technical points you posted about. They are worth a look or two/

> looking to wade into any arguments about systemd.  I certainly do not
> claim to have solved any great crisis...
>
> Anyway, this is what I did:
>
> aptitude install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils

Why install sysv-rc, sysvinit and sysvinit-utils? To change from systemd
to sysvinit it is surely enough to do

     aptitude install sysvinit-core

> aptitude purge systemd

Yes and no. You have to reboot before this command can be successfully
carried out, otherwise the running system will complain very loudly you
are doing something it will not obey.

> aptitude purge libsystemd-login0 libsystemd-daemon0

Purely optional. Say goodbye to cups-daemon if you purge libsystemd0.
(libsystemd-daemon0 is a transitional library on unstable).

> Just for kicks, I also purged cgmanager.  I guess I like to live
> dangerously.  Nothing bad seems to have happened.

So your install wasn't a new one from a Jessie d-i. And you were not
upgrading from Wheezy. Those are statements, not questions.

> Like I said, the only thing I was using that was also removed was
> network-manager, but I don't really miss it.
>
> But, to get more to the point of my original question, there has been
> so much discussion about systemd here, but as far as I can tell very
> little of this discussion has been of practical use for a debian-user.

You have good judgement.