Re: question about systemd

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

- snip -

> Anyway, that's enough of this advocacy lark, we will look at the
> technical points you posted about. They are worth a look or two/
>
> > looking to wade into any arguments about systemd.  I certainly do not
> > claim to have solved any great crisis...
> >
> > Anyway, this is what I did:
> >
> > aptitude install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils
>
> Why install sysv-rc, sysvinit and sysvinit-utils? To change from systemd
> to sysvinit it is surely enough to do
>
>      aptitude install sysvinit-core

I did that because I didn't know which one to install, so I just did
them all.  Doesn't seem to have created any problems, but thanks for
clarifying sysvinit-core is sufficient

> > aptitude purge systemd
>
> Yes and no. You have to reboot before this command can be successfully
> carried out, otherwise the running system will complain very loudly you
> are doing something it will not obey.

It did complain at this step, gave me a big warning that I was
removing something that was currently in use, so I did reboot at some
point, I can't remember if it was before or after purging systemd.
Could very well have been required to reboot before purging.

> > aptitude purge libsystemd-login0 libsystemd-daemon0
>
> Purely optional. Say goodbye to cups-daemon if you purge libsystemd0.
> (libsystemd-daemon0 is a transitional library on unstable).

I still had libsystemd0 even after doing this, so my cups-daemon
remained intact it appears.

> > Just for kicks, I also purged cgmanager.  I guess I like to live
> > dangerously.  Nothing bad seems to have happened.
>
> So your install wasn't a new one from a Jessie d-i. And you were not
> upgrading from Wheezy. Those are statements, not questions.
>
> > Like I said, the only thing I was using that was also removed was
> > network-manager, but I don't really miss it.
> >
> > But, to get more to the point of my original question, there has been
> > so much discussion about systemd here, but as far as I can tell very
> > little of this discussion has been of practical use for a debian-user.
>
> You have good judgement.

I don't hear that very often.... ;)