Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

On 09/25/2014 03:30 AM, martin f krafft wrote:
> the Universal Operating System should also cater to non-desktops.

And not only to other-than-desktop, but also to ports and architectures
other than i386/amd64.

I don't have a problem with systemd per se. I have used it before on
Fedora containers, and beyond the initial learning-curve it was without
any problems that I noticed.

My problem with systemd *as default in Debian* stems from the fact that
systemd only works with Linux, and is only known (to me) to work on the
aforementioned arches. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work to switch
Debian GNU/Linux to an init system that the Debian GNU/!Linux systems
can't use.

I brought this up once on #offtopic and was told that sysvinit doesn't
work on bsds (that's a paraphrase using the same words, not a quote) and
then ridiculed. This email thread:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2014/02/msg00135.html

indicates that that isn't the case. Although I haven't been able to
confirm it, I suspect that sysvinit is actually the current default in
the kFreeBSD port. Even if it isn't, I'm not suggesting that sysvinit
should be retained as the default. I'm suggesting that the Universal
Operating System should make some effort to keep the same basic
components across ports and arches if possible.