Re: About dependency creep

On 28/09/14 12:37, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Freitag, 26. September 2014, 13:00:08 schrieb Peter Nieman:
On 25/09/14 18:16, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
The KDE project has spent *years* of development to reduce dependency
creep.
I don't think KDE is the problem here. I don't remember ever having run
into a situation where installing a non-DE package resulted in KDE
components being pulled in. But that happens all the time with Gnome, to
the extent that nowadays you can do practically nothing with your Debian
PC if you want to avoid Gnome. And these Gnome dependencies contribute
nothing but cruft to a non-DE desktop.

Have some examples?

dbus, dconf, libpulse, gstreamer, libxml and dozens or hundreds more. I don't want to sound rude, but I don't feel like wading through all the stuff on my machine and discuss why each one of the dependencies I find is necessary. I don't want to argue about the obvious, which is that with every recent release interdependencies have proliferated and that in most cases components that are directly or indirectly related to Gnome are somehow involved. (And I also hope that no one will tell me that I am free to develop my own version of gimp using a different toolkit, or something like that.)

By the way, Wikipedia has this to say about gstreamer:

"The GNOME desktop environment, a heavy user of GStreamer, has included GStreamer since GNOME version 2.2 and *encourages* GNOME and GTK+ applications to use it." (Emphasis added.)

I guess that describes very well how things work.

p.