Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

On Jo, 25 sep 14, 15:15:36, koanhead wrote:
> On 09/25/2014 03:30 AM, martin f krafft wrote:
> > the Universal Operating System should also cater to non-desktops.
> >

> And not only to other-than-desktop, but also to ports and architectures
> other than i386/amd64.
>
> I don't have a problem with systemd per se. I have used it before on
> Fedora containers, and beyond the initial learning-curve it was without
> any problems that I noticed.
>
> My problem with systemd *as default in Debian* stems from the fact that
> systemd only works with Linux, and is only known (to me) to work on the
> aforementioned arches.

$ rmadison systemd
debian:
 systemd | 44-11+deb7u4   | wheezy-security  | source, amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
 systemd | 44-11+deb7u4   | wheezy           | source, amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
 systemd | 204-14~bpo70+1 | wheezy-backports | source, amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
 systemd | 208-8          | jessie           | source, amd64, arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390x
 systemd | 208-8+b1       | jessie           | ppc64el
 systemd | 215-4          | sid              | source, amd64, arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, ppc64el, s390x, sparc
new:

As you can see, systemd is available for all CPU architectures currently
supported by Debian (including arm64 and ppc64el which are still racing
to make it in time for Jessie).

It does indeed not work on !Linux due to its use of cgroups which is a
Linux only feature.

Kind regards,
Andrei