Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

On 29/01/2014 09:26, Petr Salinger wrote:
>> 1. stay with sysvinit
>> 2. switch to OpenRC unconditionally
>> 3. switch to Upstart unconditionally
>> 4. switch to Upstart only if Linux uses it by default, otherwise OpenRC
>> 5. further discussion
>>
>> Please rank the above putting your preferred option first, as per
>> Debian's usual Condorcet voting system.  This is totally non-binding,
>> I'm most interested in hearing people's ideas, questions, or the reasons
>> for their choices.
>
> I would add also
> 6. switch to Upstart only if Linux uses it by default, otherwise stay with sysvinit
>
> My preference is
>
> 6-5-1,2,4-3

We have less options now ;-)

I'm a bit afraid that even if sysvinit itself stays mostly fine, the scripts written for
it could turn into a bunch of bitrot.

And AFAICS we may be able to use Upstart some time in the future but this doesn't seem
possible right now.

What is the current status of OpenRC? Is it usable?