Re: Let's have a vote!

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Martin Read" <zen75502@zen.co.uk>
>
> On 25/09/14 15:42, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I agree that "let's wait until we have a good init to move to" should have
> > been more seriously considered, but for some reason people were in a big
> > hurry to make a move.
>
> The vote held was "What should the default init system *in jessie* be?".
> Given that as the question under discussion, "let's wait until we have a
> good init to move to" (implication: there are currently no available
> init systems better than the status quo) was perfectly well served by
> the ballot option "sysvinit".

Agreed.  My point was that I think people were in too much of a hurry to change, as if there was some kind of emergency, and I wish that waiting (sticking with sysvinit for now) were more seriously considered.  I didn't mean to imply that that choice was not available in the vote.

The vote moved us from one imperfect init to another imperfect init.  It was like voting on a beauty contest before the contestants had even finished doing their hair, just because we were so intent on removing the crown from last year's winner.

-Rob