Re: Messages from starting services while booting

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:04:59 +0200
Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Wheezy, and on some machines I see messages from starting
> services while booting, and on some machines I don't see them.
>
> Can somebody explain me how this works? I have the idea that I don't
> see messages on fast machines.
>
> And can I control this?  On some servers I like to see the messages
> from the services when the machine boots.
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

Disable lightdm and you'll start seeing the messages. The right way is
to put an exit command early in the lightdm config file. The easy way
is to rename lightdm to lightdm.unused. Don't actually delete it in
case you want to put things back.

Be forewarned that after doing that, you'll be logging into tty1, and
then running startx to run your gui, and you might need to exec your
gui (lxde or whatever) as the last command of !/.xinitrc.

HTH,

SteveT