Re: There is no choice

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:49:52 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Joe writes:
> > ...the design of systemd and the decision of Debian to make systemd
> > the 'default', or in practice the only init system...
>
> Not true.  "Default" just means that it's the init you get if you
> don't specify anything else.  Other inits are allowed and encouraged
> but _someone has to develop, package, and maintain them_.

I can hack the odd script and drive a compiler, so if there were to be
existing software that could do the job with a bit filed off here and
there, I'd have a go. But having done a bit more reading recently, it
seems likely that any alternative init would have to be written from
scratch, that nothing currently existing could be adapted. There are
very few people with the knowledge, experience and free time to do
that, and I'm certainly not one of them.

> > ...are set in stone.
>
> The decision to make systemd default for Jessie is final: such things
> need months (at least!) of lead time (theoretically the decision could
> be overturned by a GR but I think that most maintainers realize that
> such a GR would delay the release and don't want that).  The details
> are _not_ final, and the decision could be reversed for a future
> release.
>
> > There's nothing to discuss.
>
> There is, at the least, the subject of how to live with it.

Thank you. And living with it might well include looking around for
alternatives.

--
Joe