Re: There is no choice

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:26:06 +1200
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:04:05PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:56:10 +0000
> > "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > > It woun't kill any detractors to try this and help us find what
> > > breaks, to help us to get a Debian system we can all be proud of
> > > instead of talking up a storm to complain about things. Experience
> > > may also allow us to support alternatives where feasible.
> > >
> > Why is it forbidden to do both? I need to use Windows for some
> > purposes, and occasionally I even correct some of the more
> > out-of-date FUD about it, but that doesn't mean I think it's great,
> > or that I'm somehow not allowed to criticise it.
>
> No, but consider how it would go down if you were a Farmer who wasn't
> happy with the crop yield but instead of going to the seed
> manufacturer you go along to the tractor service department and
> complain incessantly. How do you think that would go down?
>
> It is the wrong Mailing List!!!

Why? I'm a Debian user, and I'm interested in other Debian users'
opinions and experiences. As Lisi and others have pointed out, the
design of systemd and the decision of Debian to make systemd the
'default', or in practice the only init system, are set in stone.
There's nothing to discuss.

The level of interest of either systemd developers or Debian developers
in a single user's opinion is significantly less than zero. How can
it be otherwise? The interest of either group in offering any advice
about possible avoidance of systemd is similarly less than zero, again
for obvious reasons. The only people who may have any constructive
advice are here, in Debian-user.

And here is also where the help is for living with systemd. I've had
help from Michael Biebl and others with a couple of problems, one of
which finally went away of its own accord four or five days ago. I'll
only get help from higher up if I can provide enough information for a
useful bug report, and I haven't yet learned enough to do so with my
recent problems.

--
Joe