Re: There is no choice

On 9/20/2014 9:51 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> It seems the developers make the decisions and users feel left out.
>> What we want does not seem to matter.
>
> There are positive methods of influencing the decisions that Debian
> makes and negative methods.
>
> Positive methods include:
>
> 1) filing accurate bug reports
> 2) participating in technical discussions with specific use cases
> 3) running tests
> 4) contributing documentation
> 5) clarifying the technical ramifications
>
> and a whole host of other aspects too numerous to mention here. If
> anyone reading this is unsure of how they can contribute to Debian, feel
> free to contact me (or any other Debian volunteer, really) at any time.
>
> Negative methods include all kinds of personal attacks, maligning Debian
> in general, or continually posting the same arguments after decisions
> have been made without new information. These methods are not
> appropriate, and do not belong on Debian mailing lists.

People are doing this just BECAUSE the feel the developers aren't
listening.  They have tried the positive things, within their technical
and time limitations.  And when they feel their positive contributions
are not being listened to, they start with the negative methods.

>> Now maybe the users DO matter, and developers DO listen to us. If that
>> is the case, you need to communicate that fact better.
>
> I'm here, listening. Other DDs are to.

That may be - I don't know, because I've seen so few contributions to
the discussions here.  And I'm sure others feel that way also, which is
why the complaints.

Then please explain to us why, with all of the negative technical
aspects surrounding systemd, it looks to be the default init in Jessie.

Jerry