Re: There is no choice

On 9/20/2014 4:20 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, lee wrote:
>> These few people are also very concerned with preventing other people,
>> particularly users, from doing something which would contribute to
>> what they claim that they are doing.
>
> Exactly how are Debian Developers preventing others from contributing?
>
> Almost everything we do is publicly available. Nothing is stopping
> anyone from contributing to Debian, proposing patches, or even forking
> Debian entirely if you want.
>
> In all of these separate threads, you have been doing little but
> maligning people who are volunteering for Debian. It's not a nice thing
> to do, it's not pleasant to read, and in doing so, you're actively
> draining existing contributor's desire to continue working on Debian.
>
> Please stop.

Don, I can understand your frustration.  But please understand the
frustration of the users.  It seems the developers make the decisions
and users feel left out.  What we want does not seem to matter.

Some of us are developers, and understand the technical aspects.
But we also have to make a living.  Right now it's Saturday night here,
and I'm working on a device driver for a client.  Would I rather be
taking my wife out to dinner?  You bet I would.  But this project is on
a tight deadline, and I'm doing my best to come in ahead of schedule.

Now maybe the users DO matter, and developers DO listen to us.  If that
is the case, you need to communicate that fact better.  But if it is the
case you don't listen, then the complaints will continue, and no threats
from the developers will stop that - in fact it will encourage it.

And you can believe me - if it were a choice between developing for
Debian and taking my wife out to dinner on Saturday night, the wife will
come first.

Jerry