Re: There is no choice

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:22:05AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> It's just the way they went to go. I have had zero problems with it,
> as a mere user. I did my part by installing Jessie fresh, so I
> wouldn't be part of the noisy problems on this list with left over
> old cruft competing for attention. My reward was a very well running
> install, that apparently was well crafted by some very talented
> people.

If it's any consolation:

I've just run a dist-upgrade on a running Debian wheezy system.

For various reasons, I didn't want to wipe the existing configuration of
network, firewall settings etc. so didn't do a complete clean install
with Jessie Beta 1 media.

I managed to break it: my fault, by rebooting part way through the upgrade.
This resulted in a dead system because it was still trying to boot with a
kernel that was no longer obviously there in place.

Rebooting with a Wheezy netinst .iso on USB and chrooting into the part finished
install allowed me to run

	update-grub

which fixed the problem. Result: a running system, running Jessie well and booting
quickly. This done well in advance of November's freeze to give me some idea before
I update other machines.

It woun't kill any detractors to try this and help us find what breaks, to help
us to get a Debian system we can all be proud of instead of talking up a storm
to complain about things. Experience may also allow us to support alternatives
where feasible.

> It all just works. Since I paid nothing, I certainly got much more
> than my money's worth. I fail to see where we should jerk on their
> chains to demand more of their time by hanging here as well, like we
> have some right to demand any thing. That just comes off as
> presumptuous.
>
> Keep in mind they have the freedom to walk off this non-paying gig
> and to tell us all to go pound sand.

Thanks for the confirmation that someone else got systemd to work

Hope this helps,

All the best,

AndyC