Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

Am Montag, 15. September 2014, 21:55:29 schrieb Joe:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:32:45 +0200
>
> Bartosz Olender <bartek.olender@gmail.com> wrote:
> > W dniu 15.09.2014 19:39, Joe pisze:

> > > It's all irrelevant. Bad programming practice is bad programming
> > > practice, wherever and however it occurs. Bad programming practice
> > > can be acceptable if it brings benefits large enough to outweigh the
> > > badness.
> > >

> > I am not defending systemd programmers but, could you clarify what do
> > you exactly mean by bad programming practices?
> >

> In this case, I wasn't really being specific, just pointing out that
> names like GNU and Unix don't imply any monopoly on good or bad
> programming, nor necessarily any restriction on where Debian and
> other Linux distributions go. Vital as Stallman's tools were to begin
> the process, Linux and other Unix derivatives have moved beyond the
> point where it is either Stallman's way or commercial Unix's way. They
> have, at the moment at least, a life of their own.

Seriously, how many threads about systemd versus initscripts do we have now
here on this list? At some time I stopped counting.

What is so boring about… well… using *one* thread?

I have mixed thoughts and feelings about systemd… but on the other hand I
think discussing this further here… is… a waste of time – as it won´t change
anything.

Unless you want to run a petition… or seek help to develop an *alternative*.
If all the time spend here in discussing was spend into developing an
alternative or improving an existing alternative, this alternative would be
ready now. Maybe it would even run circles around systemd given the time it
must have taken to write all the then of thousands of posts regarding systemd
here. (Yes, I might be exaggerating a bit.)

(Joe, not directed to you personally, but to everyone who starts a new systemd
thread here every other second.)

Ciao,