Re: There is no choice

On 9/22/2014 7:34 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:42:57 -0400
> Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/2014 6:22 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>>> It all just works. Since I paid nothing, I certainly got much more
>>> than my money's worth. I fail to see where we should jerk on their
>>> chains to demand more of their time by hanging here as well, like
>>> we have some right to demand any thing. That just comes off as
>>> presumptuous.
>>>

>> I'm glad it works FOR YOU.  It doesn't for everyone.  And all people
>> are asking for are technical responses to technical issues - instead
>> of just closing bugs "won't fix".
>
> Oh, it goes beyond that. For instance, the "Since I paid nothing"
> argument rolls back years of Linux folks countering the "you get what
> you pay for" argument from the proprietorists. Hey, if I wanted cheap
> junk, I'd have bought Windows. And as far as demanding, most people are
> just demanding that they don't ruin a good thing.
>
> And it can work just fine, but if it's an entangled mess (who would
> have even dreamed of dependencies between PID 1 and a GUI desktop?),
> then there will be very few clever enough to maintain/fix it.

> “Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
> Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
> definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
>
> – Brian W. Kernighan
> (Canadian computer scientist, co-author of “C programming language”)
>

>>> Keep in mind they have the freedom to walk off this non-paying gig
>>> and to tell us all to go pound sand.
>>>

>> Sure.  And we are free to walk off, also.  Many of us are.  But before
>> we do, we're trying to keep a good distro from going to the pits -
>> because we care about it.
>
> Better yet, perhaps it's about time those who railroaded this atrocity
> through *do* walk off. Going along with linkage between a GUI desktop
> and PID 1? Really? How Macintosh!
>
> SteveT

I wouldn't go that far.  These guys and gals do a great service to the
Debian community.

However, perhaps this with a vested interest in a commercial Linux
product shouldn't be allowed to determine the future of Debian due to
their inherent conflict of interest.

Could it be they want all the distros to go the systemd way so there is
less competition with their commercial product?  No accusations here -
just a question.

Jerry