Re: [solved itself] Strange message, ifup eth0..............

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:31:36 -0400 The Wanderer sent:

> I suspect that what happened is that when you installed and removed
> ifupdown-extra, the stray /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable
> got removed, and so the problem it was causing went away too.
>
> The question is why that file was there in the first place, but
> there's probably no way to find that out at this point, unless the
> situation can be reproduced on another new install.

Just to let you know. I got up this morning and it's all good. ifup and
ifdown both work as I am accustomed to without ifupdown-extra package.

I thought just maybe, because I did this install at our community centre
in town, I used one of their Ethernet cables directly plugged into the
router. [My wireless doesn't work since the new install - but have
more to try a few more things - if I can't fix it I may be back [sigh]]
I thought the cable types might be different. Not so. That and my cable
at home are both cat 5E cables.

So solved but still a mystery.

Thanks again for your time and help.
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	There is no use in walking five miles to fish when you can
	depend on being just as unsuccessful near home. - Mark Twain