Re: [solved itself] Strange message, ifup eth0..............

On 09/08/2014 at 10:07 AM, Charlie wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:15:23 -0400 The Wanderer sent:
>
>> On 09/08/2014 at 09:06 AM, Charlie wrote:

>>> It appears as you and Julien suggest to be that bug from
>>> October 2013? Never fixed?
>>
>> Actually, the bug I pointed to is a different one, filed August
>> 21st of this year. The bug Julien pointed to is closed as fixed,
>> but the other is still open.
>>
>> I don't have strong evidence that it's involved here, but it
>> does involve the same script,
>> /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.
>>
>>> But I don't have ifupdown-extra installed only ifupdown. So I
>>> installed ifupdown-extra version 0.25 just to see if it made
>>> any difference, it didn't.
>>
>> That's weird. If you didn't have ifupdown-extra installed, you
>> shouldn't have had /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.

[Correction: /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable]

>>> So purged it again and stayed with ifupdown version 0.7.48.1
>>> as before.
>>
>> Do you have that file now? If so, what are its contents, and
>> what does 'dlocate 00check-network-cable' report? (If you have
>> dlocate installed, which you may not.)
>
> dlocate 00check-network-cable
>
> Has no output.

Does the file itself exist? I suspect that it now does not.

> I have purged ifupdown several times and installed it again. I
> have also, after your post, installed ifupdown-extra and purged
> it; installed again and left it and purged ifupdown. Then purged
> ifupdown-extra and installed ifupdown. I have lost track.
>
> I just tried:
>
> # ifup eth0 and no error messages at all.
>
> Then tried:
>
> # ifdown eth0 Killed old client process Internet Systems Consortium
> DHCP Client 4.3.1 Copyright 2004-2014 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved. For info, please visit
> https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
>
> And it also worked without an error message and then, brought eth0
> back up without any error message.
>
> I really didn't do anything to fix this issue other than kept
> purging and installing, and those packages would have come out of
> the apt cache, as nothing new was downloaded?
>
> Strange, but happy it's fixed.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and help.

I suspect that what happened is that when you installed and removed
ifupdown-extra, the stray /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable got
removed, and so the problem it was causing went away too.

The question is why that file was there in the first place, but there's
probably no way to find that out at this point, unless the situation can
be reproduced on another new install.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.