Re: Strange message, ifup eth0..............

On 09/08/2014 at 09:06 AM, Charlie wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:33:41 -0400 The Wanderer sent:
>
>> On 09/08/2014 at 08:22 AM, Charlie wrote:
>>
>>> Using Debian Jessie, new install
>>>
>>> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>>> RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev
>>> 07)
>>>
>>> When I type this "ifup eth0" into a root terminal get this
>>> message:
>>>
>>> bound to 192.168.2.2 -- renewal in 2147483648 seconds.
>>> /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable: 72: local:
>>> detected:: bad variable name run-parts:
>>> /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable exited with return
>>> code 2 Failed to bring up eth0.
>>>
>>> But the Ethernet connection works? So really nothing to
>>> complain about, it just seems strange.
>>
>> This is almost certainly bug 758798:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=758798
>>
>>> But what does concern me is when I type "ifdown eth0" the
>>> Ethernet connection does **not** terminate and I get this
>>> message:
>>>
>>> ifdown eth0 ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone might know what is configuring the
>>> Ethernet?
>>
>> I'd guess that ifup is calling scripts which bring up eth0, but
>> then another script fails later in the process, so ifupdown
>> decides that eth0 didn't come up - and so it doesn't record "eth0
>> is up" in whatever place it stores that information, and ifdown
>> checks that location and doesn't see eth0 as up.
>>
>>> This the ifupdown package installed: ifupdown - high level
>>> tools to configure network interfaces
>>
>> The failing script, however, is from ifupdown-extra - which I
>> don't have installed; it appears to be optional. You can
>> probably avoid the issue by removing it, although there might be
>> some functionality lost in the process.
>
> It appears as you and Julien suggest to be that bug from October
> 2013? Never fixed?

Actually, the bug I pointed to is a different one, filed August 21st of
this year. The bug Julien pointed to is closed as fixed, but the other
is still open.

I don't have strong evidence that it's involved here, but it does
involve the same script, /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.

> But I don't have ifupdown-extra installed only ifupdown. So I
> installed ifupdown-extra version 0.25 just to see if it made any
> difference, it didn't.

That's weird. If you didn't have ifupdown-extra installed, you shouldn't
have had /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.

> So purged it again and stayed with ifupdown version 0.7.48.1 as
> before.

Do you have that file now? If so, what are its contents, and what does
'dlocate 00check-network-cable' report? (If you have dlocate installed,
which you may not.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.