Re: Forewarned is forearmed

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 21:54:21 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 03:43:46PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > My Wheezy machine doesn't run the loopback device lo on reboot. This
> > means I can't access my local Dovecot server. I reboot so seldom I
> > always forget this.
>
> I've had this happen before and it has been subtle to find out why
> things aren't working, but in all cases it's been because
> my /etc/network/interfaces file was incorrect. What's yours (wrt lo
> at least?)

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.100.4
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.100.96

Also, see:

slitt@mydesq2:~$ ps ax | grep wicd
3217 ?    S 0:06 /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py
3240 ?    S 0:02 /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/daemon/monitor.py
3731 tty1 S 0:00 /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py
--tray 9735 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep wicd slitt@mydesq2:~$

I couldn't see an instance of NetworkManager, and synaptic indicates
that NetworkManager isn't installed.

This isn't really a problem for me, but if I'm making a mistake that
kills lo, chances are it's causing other side effects of which I'm not
aware.

Thanks for the info!

SteveT