Re: Strange message, ifup eth0..............

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:33:41 -0400 The Wanderer sent:

> On 09/08/2014 at 08:22 AM, Charlie wrote:
>
> > Using Debian Jessie, new install
> >
> > Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
> >
> > When I type this "ifup eth0" into a root terminal get this
> > message:
> >
> > bound to 192.168.2.2 -- renewal in 2147483648 seconds.
> > /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable: 72: local: detected::
> > bad variable name run-parts:
> > /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable exited with return code
> > 2 Failed to bring up eth0.
> >
> > But the Ethernet connection works? So really nothing to complain
> > about, it just seems strange.
>
> This is almost certainly bug 758798:

> > But what does concern me is when I type "ifdown eth0" the Ethernet
> > connection does **not** terminate and I get this message:
> >
> > ifdown eth0 ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
> >
> > I wonder if anyone might know what is configuring the Ethernet?
>
> I'd guess that ifup is calling scripts which bring up eth0, but then
> another script fails later in the process, so ifupdown decides that
> eth0 didn't come up - and so it doesn't record "eth0 is up" in
> whatever place it stores that information, and ifdown checks that
> location and doesn't see eth0 as up.
>
> > This the ifupdown package installed: ifupdown - high level tools to
> > configure network interfaces
>
> The failing script, however, is from ifupdown-extra - which I don't
> have installed; it appears to be optional. You can probably avoid the
> issue by removing it, although there might be some functionality lost
> in the process.
>
> - --
>    The Wanderer

It appears as you and Julien suggest to be that bug from October 2013?
Never fixed?

But I don't have ifupdown-extra installed only ifupdown. So I installed
ifupdown-extra version 0.25 just to see if it made any difference, it
didn't.

So purged it again and stayed with ifupdown version 0.7.48.1 as before.

Thanks to you and Julien for pointing me to that bug. It's much
appreciated.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	A free society is a place where it is safe to be unpopular.
	--Adlai Stevenson