Re: [solved itself] Strange message, ifup eth0..............

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:15:23 -0400 The Wanderer sent:

> On 09/08/2014 at 09:06 AM, Charlie wrote:

> >> This is almost certainly bug 758798:
> >>
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=758798

> >> I'd guess that ifup is calling scripts which bring up eth0, but
> >> then another script fails later in the process, so ifupdown
> >> decides that eth0 didn't come up - and so it doesn't record "eth0
> >> is up" in whatever place it stores that information, and ifdown
> >> checks that location and doesn't see eth0 as up.

> >> The failing script, however, is from ifupdown-extra - which I
> >> don't have installed; it appears to be optional. You can
> >> probably avoid the issue by removing it, although there might be
> >> some functionality lost in the process.
> >
> > It appears as you and Julien suggest to be that bug from October
> > 2013? Never fixed?
>
> Actually, the bug I pointed to is a different one, filed August 21st
> of this year. The bug Julien pointed to is closed as fixed, but the
> other is still open.
>
> I don't have strong evidence that it's involved here, but it does
> involve the same script, /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.
>
> > But I don't have ifupdown-extra installed only ifupdown. So I
> > installed ifupdown-extra version 0.25 just to see if it made any
> > difference, it didn't.
>
> That's weird. If you didn't have ifupdown-extra installed, you
> shouldn't have had /etc/ifupdown/00check-network-cable.
>
> > So purged it again and stayed with ifupdown version 0.7.48.1 as
> > before.
>
> Do you have that file now? If so, what are its contents, and what does
> 'dlocate 00check-network-cable' report? (If you have dlocate
> installed, which you may not.)
>
> - --
>    The Wanderer

dlocate 00check-network-cable

Has no output.

I have purged ifupdown several times and installed it again. I have
also, after your post, installed ifupdown-extra and purged it;
installed again and left it and purged ifupdown. Then purged
ifupdown-extra and installed ifupdown. I have lost track.

I just tried:

# ifup eth0
 and no error messages at all.

Then tried:

# ifdown eth0
Killed old client process
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.3.1
Copyright 2004-2014 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

And it also worked without an error message and then, brought eth0 back
up without any error message.

I really didn't do anything to fix this issue other than kept purging
and installing, and those packages would have come out of the apt cache,
as nothing new was downloaded?

Strange, but happy it's fixed.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	One of the rarest things that a man ever does is to do the best
	he can. - Josh Billings