Re: brasero requires gvfs

Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> writes:

> [...]
> Perhaps you should investigate this approach in more detail; you seem
> to have a legitimate and praiseworthy requirement for a higher level
> of control over what runs on your system than a binary distribution
> can realistically provide.

If the problem is so easy to solve as you describe, i. e. by compiling
software appropriately, it boils down to that Debian would have to have
different versions of packages, compiled with appropriate options, which
are picked from depending on which init system the user decides to use.

Don't worry, I am considering Gentoo, not only because of systemd.  One
problem is that I would like to use distcc, and the attempts to do so
have been unsuccessful because you cannot start a compilation process on
a machine that runs Fedora and distribute it to another machine that
runs Debian.  It'll probably be the same with Gentoo, so I'd have to
replace a VM which currently runs Debian with one that runs Gentoo.
Besides, I often appreciate being able to quickly install some package I
find I need, which might take considerably longer to do with Gentoo
because the package needs to be compiled first.

In any case, simply trying to avoid systemd wouldn't do anything to fix
the problem.  It is the developers of systemd and the makers of
distributions who need to wake up and to do something about it, and they
are the ones who appear to steadfastly remain ignorant.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.