Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

On 08/28/2014 at 05:22 PM, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 28 Aug 2014 at 21:25:37 +0200, Erwan David wrote:
>
>> it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a debian without systemd.
>
> I'll have to stop doing it then. Someone might explain to you what
> has been explained many times before; I cannot be bothered.

I think this may be one of the cases where people disagree about the
meaning of terms. Can you clarify exactly what you mean when you say
that you are running a Debian without systemd?

For example, on the most extreme end, I think everyone would agree that
if the command
    dpkg -l "*systemd*" | grep ii
returns 'dpkg-query: no packages found matching "*systemd*", then the
system it is run on does not have systemd. On my system, this produces
references to 9 packages, or 7 once you remove multi-arch duplicates.

Some people would say that it's enough for the command
    ps aux | grep system[d]
to produce no output - but other people would disagree with them. On my
system (running sysvinit with systemd-shim), this produces 2 lines: one
from cgmanager for systemd-shim, one for systemd-logind.

Some people might say that it's enough if the command
    ps -p 1
does not mention systemd, and the command
    ls -l /sbin/init
does not show it to be a symlink pointing (however indirectly) at
systemd. Other people would definitely disagree with that. On my system,
this 'test' passes.

To the best of my awareness, on current jessie the third of these is
definitely possible and is not too difficult, the second is probably
possible but is somewhat more difficult, and the first is only maybe
possible but is considerably more difficult. (Unless you can accept
losing access to a lot of potentially important packages which have
nothing to do with systemd, anyway. Trying it in a --dry-run on my
system results in trying to remove 292 packages - including cups,
OpenJDK, and the GIMP.)

Is any of these what you mean? Or are you using some other set of
criteria, and if so, what?

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.