Re: Help request: intel-microcode and old Intel processors

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I'd like to know whether the kernel microcode update is working well on some
> of the older Intel 32-bit processors or not.  These computers were sold
> between years 2000 and 2010.
>
> This information will be used to decide the level of microcode update
> support for these processors on the next non-free release (Jessie).

I've got a number of reports already, so I thought it best to reply to all
of them here:

You people rock! Thank you!

It looks like the entire microcode update procedure is working very well on
Intel processors, even the very old ones.

All the reports are helpful, even the ones where no microcode update is
taking place.  It is important to know which old processors we still have
users for: a non-trivial amount of work goes into keeping old hardware safe
from bit-rot.  Other than user reports, I don't have any way to gauge how
much effort I should spend on it.

I am really happy to notice from the reports that the extra mile I went
through to distribute microcode for some very old processors is in fact
helping some of you.  This gives me added incentive to keep working on
iucode-tool and intel-microcode.

For the record: we have users with Pentium II and Pentium III boxes, and
lots of users of the venerable Pentium M (families 9 and 13).  The large
number of users of the newer processors (Pentium 4, Pentium D, Core, etc)
were expected, as well as the users of very old P4 Xeons, and even one PIII
Xeon!

  Henrique Holschuh