Re: iso and disk space problem

On 08/18/2014 01:27 PM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 18 Aug 2014 at 10:50:48 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 18/08/14 09:11 AM, Brian wrote:

Which ISO are you using?

   ElementaryOS...seems like a Gnome-based distro from what I've been
able to gather but it replaces a lot of Gnome stuff with its own
applications written in Vala (sp).

It does have a loopback.cfg, which is why grub can boot it from the
grml-rescueboot devised menu entry. The live image is mastered to use
Ubuntu's casper and the distribution itself is Ubuntu based. First
impressions are that it looks smart.

I boot from a USB stick, which doesn't give the fastest booting in the
west. From a CD it might be noticeably slower. Once the OS is going I
cannot say I'm disappointed with its snappiness.

I'm inclined to think increasing size of an ISO is not possible. Having
it access space outside the image is.

    Yes that's the conclusion I've reached but how to do it is the
problem. For me this started as a way to try the distro without
booting from a CD but now it has stoked my curiosity about ISOs in
general.

How about a 'df -h'?

    /cow           1006M  191M  816M  19% /
    udev            996M  4.0K  996M   1% /dev
    tmpfs           403M  944K  402M   1% /run
    /dev/sdc18      662M  662M     0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0      631M  631M     0 100% /rofs
    tmpfs          1006M  8.0K 1006M   1% /tmp
    none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none           1006M   76K 1006M   1% /run/shm

/dev/sdc18 and /dev/loop0 are the ISO image. Note the 100%. /cow is a
copy-on-write filesystem; it will be in memory. I've some progams open
and did some downloading. Whatever happened to you would be a result of
running out of room on /cow and not the fault of too small an ISO image.
Take look at

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

and see what you think.

  A lot to chew on there...but it looks like it might help.

Thanks

--
1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.