Re: iso and disk space problem

On 08/18/2014 12:39 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
Frank McCormick wrote:
On 18/08/14 09:11 AM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 18 Aug 2014 at 01:01:17 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 17/08/14 10:22 PM, sp113438 wrote:

grml-rescue does not work on other ISO's, only on grml I
thought.

Please correct when I am wrong.

   Grml loads any iso placed in the /boot/grml directory.

   It modifies the grub2 menu, adding a listing for whatever iso
you put in there and Grub2 will load it.

grml-rescueboot will modify the grub menu with a listing for
the ISO but
will not boot it unless the image contains a loopback.cfg file
in its
/boot/grub. This rules out many (if not most) popular
distributions.

Which ISO are you using?

   ElementaryOS...seems like a Gnome-based distro from what I've
been able to gather but it replaces a lot of Gnome stuff with its
own applications written in Vala (sp).

It's handy for that...but as I found out, unless there is a
way to
increase the file size of the iso, you can have problems :)

I'm inclined to think increasing size of an ISO is not
possible. Having
it access space outside the image is.

    Yes that's the conclusion I've reached but how to do it is
the problem. For me this started as a way to try the distro
without booting from a CD but now it has stoked my curiosity
about ISOs in general.

I vaguely recall having seen what you asked for on a debian.org page
dealing with creating custom cd's. I came up empty on a quick search
just now.

However when searching to see just what ElementaryOS is, I came across
http://www.stugon.com/install-elementary-os-on-vmware-player/

HTH

Well I wanted to try to avoid solutions like vmware or qmenu. I don't think it's worth going to all that trouble.

--
1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.