Re: Problem with Debian 6 LTS and vlc

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

hi bret.

I am not sure whether support queries specific to Debian 6 LTS,
should be posted to this list,

i assume such queries are on-topic here.

or to the LTS list - on the web page at
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Contact#debian-lts
is

"
Mailing lists

debian-lts

https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/ (gmane)

Debian. Everyone involved or interested in providing Long-Term Support
for Debian should feel free to join this list. Discussion of policy,
on-going support issues, and anything else relating to LTS are all
on-topic here.
"

though i'm not subscribed to debian-lts, based on that description i
would expect your query regarding installing vlc to be on-topic there
as well.

which makes that list appear to me (along with the messages that I
have so far seen posted to it), to be for developers, rather than
for Debian 6 LTS users who are seeking support.

fwiw, that is not my interpretation.

I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop.

At first attempt, it kept prompting for the "disc number...", so I
checked the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and found that it was not set
up for LTS.

as you have probably discovered, if you have a working internet
connection and aren't in the mood to mess around with cds, then you
should comment out any lines beginning with 'deb cdrom:...' in
/etc/apt/sources.list .

So, I updated the /etc/apt/sources.list file, as (I believe) shown on
the relevant wiki web page, and ran apt-get update and then apt-get
upgrade, and that apparently included removal of about 3.6MB of
something (it did not say what would be removed).

the more details you supply, pertaining to your problem, the more
details you are likely to receive, pertaining to its solution.  (i am
a little surprised you haven't received more responses to your query
yet, but maybe this principle explains why.)

regarding your sources.list, i wonder what is the output of

 $ grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}

But, now I can not install vlc.

i do not run squeeze any more, but i find that surprising.  sounds
like a problem.  i wonder what the problem is.

I get, in the error box (the error classification/description, can
not be copied and pasted),

"
vlc:
Depends: vlc-nox but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libfribidi0 (>=0.19.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libsdl-image1.2 (>=1.2.10) but it is not installable
Depends: libxcb-keysyms1 (>=0.3.6) but it is not installable
Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed
"

Is vlc no longer installable, on Debian 6?

with the caveat that i don't currently run squeeze myself, it would
surprise me if vlc were not installable on squeeze, and (with due
respect to third-party repository enthusiasts) i doubt that third
party repositories are required to install it.

again, regarding your sources.list, i wonder what is the output of

 $ grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}

-wes