Re: iso and disk space problem

On 8/17/14, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I downloaded an ISO of another Linux distro to check it out - burned is
> to a CD and booted from it. Runs fine, but a little slowly,
> so I thought about grml-rescue which allows grub to boot an ISO from the
> HD. Runs fine, but immediately ran into trouble updating the distro
> when it ran out of disk space. Seems the limit is the size of the
> original ISO. Is there any way of increasing this? It's about 700kb
> right now which doesn't allow much room for anything.

I've spent the last approximate 4 months (don't ask) deliberately
breaking and fixing several different Debian derivatives after they
initially did the same themselves. JUST YESTERDAY arrived at a point
where I downloaded the smallest true Debian .iso. MY FIRST. It works
and I am this very second setting up its GUI.

IN THE PROCESS of getting to this point, I downloaded SEVERAL
different variations from the small, dialup friendly cdrom and
hd-media offerings. While attempting to (and miserably FAILING at)
installing them, somewhere I read something about some image files
ONLY giving you exactly what you're saying. They only give you on your
hard drive what they are when you view them in an archive manager.
They have to be tweaked somehow or they waste any additional space you
offer them once fully extracted.

Whoever said it knew what they were talking about. It happened to me
couple days ago with boot.img.gz. It's very small compared to many,
35MB to download but claims to be 1000MB (1GB) when opened. Part of
that seemingly amazing 1GB is the ram and THAT is the
issue/culprit/reason for why this happens, *I THINK*. Wish now I'd
printscreened. One of the few things I haven't documented recently.

My brain what it is (and isn't), can't remember exactly why that
happens but whoever had written that online did not fib. There's
something you have to do so that the extraction will actually use the
entire of wherever you extract it.. Apologies I can't remember the fix
but writing anyway hoping this will give you or anyone else something
to go on if that turns out to be your case..

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *