Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 08/10/2014 02:45 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
>>
>> Charlie: According to the man pages all 3, halt, poweroff and reboot,
>> use the shutdown command to perform the necessary steps when not
>> starting in runlevel 0 or 6, which is pretty much always. So it is
>> really weird that in your case poweroff does not work but shutdown
>> does.
>>
>> If  halt  or  reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0
>> or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be
>> invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the
>> shutdown(8) manpage.
>
> That's weird, and if it represents a change made by systemd, possibly
> unfortunate. I know of at least one somewhat degenerate, but broadly
> distributed and not uncommonly used, environment (which I think may be
> based on SuSE) where 'shutdown' does not work at all - exits with an
> error when called - but 'halt' and 'reboot' do work. (And probably so
> does 'poweroff'.)

halt/poweroff/reboot have called shutdown at least since 6/squeeze.

AIUI halt and poweroff are different if the system has a mode where
the OS can be halted without being powered off, similar to a Solaris
SPARC box where going to runlevel 0 shuts down the OS to go to a
firmware prompt and runlevel 5 shuts down the OS and powers off the
box.