Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 07:37:40 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
> > Gary Dale wrote:
> >
> > Sid is the unstable child...
> >
> >> To get back into your system, you can try booting from a Linux CD (system
> >> rescue CD, for example) and trying to debug from there. For example, you
> >> could try (assuming your Linux drive is /dev/sda1):
> >>
> >> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> >> mount -o loop /dev /mnt/dev
> >> mount -o loop /sys /mnt/sys
> >> mount -o loop /proc /mnt/proc
> >> chroot /mnt bash
> >
> > I also recommend the debian-installer in rescue mode.  The above will
> > work fine.  Or you could use the debian-installer in rescue mode to
> > guide you through this.
> >
> > Here is the official documentation for it:
> >
> >   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s07.html.en
> >
> > But that is fairly terse.  Let me say that the rescue mode looks just
> > like the install mode initially.  It will ask you keyboard and locale
> > questions and you might wonder if you are rescuing or installing!  But
> > it will have "Rescue" in the corners so that you can tell and be
> > assured.  Get the tool set up with keyboard, locale, timezone, and
> > similar and eventually it will give you a menu with a list of actions.
> >
> >   Advanced options...
> >   Rescue mode
> >   keyboard
> >   ...starts networking...
> >   hostname
> >   domainname
> >   ...apt update release files...
> >   ...detecting disks...
> >
> > Then eventually it will get to a menu "Enter rescue mode" that will
> > ask what device to use as a root file system.  It will list the
> > partitions that it has automatically detected.  (If you have raid or
> > lvm then it will list options for those.  If not then just the simple
> > disks.)  Select the appropriate partition from the list.  Then
> > continue.  At that point it presents a menu "Execute a shell in
> > /dev/...".  That is what you want.  That should get you a shell on
> > your system with everything needed mounted.
> >
> > Bob
>
> As suggested, I used the debian-installer in rescue mode and asked it to
> `Execute a shell in /dev/sda7', which is my Sid box.

Fine up to here.

>                                                       From that shell, I gave
> those commands suggested, but it said:

Do not issue those commands; they are for when 'Execute a shell in the
installer environment' is used. Everything is taken care of with 'Execute
a shell in /dev/sda7'

At the prompt issue the commands

  grub-install /dev/sda

  update-grub