Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 12:39:59 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>> At the prompt issue the commands
>>
>    grub-install /dev/sda
>
>    update-grub
>
>    exit
>
> Then reboot.

Two days ago, after full-upgrade, as explained, it was impossible to boot
neither to reboot and I had to unplug the machine.  Thanks to lister's help,
the above commands through debian-installer in rescue mode managed to repair
the system.  But now two problems still remain:

 1) I can't halt the system.  After the `halt' command, the system stops saying
    [.    47.148880] reboot: System halted
    Then nothing happens and I have to unplug the machine;

 2) I don't manage to move boot partition from sda7 (Sid) to sda6 (oldstable):
    the commands

    # grub
    grub > root (hd0,5)
    grub > setup (hd0)
    grub > quit

have the effect to break the system down again, whereas trying to reinstall
GRUB boot loader from the debian-installer simply have no effect.

Any help welcome.

Thanks indeed and again,

Rodolfo