RE: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

Hi,

> On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 10:46:51 +0000 Rodolfo Medina sent:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I've always used `halt' to shutdown the machine.  Is `poweroff'
>> proper to do that?
>>
>> Rodolfo
>
> poweroff doesn't work for me, but I tried it as root, next time I use it I will try it as user and see if it works then. shutdown now does work as root.

Rodolfo: Yes, poweroff is now the "proper way" to shutdown a machine.

Wanderer: While using Wheezy starting to use poweroff is the proper way to migrate from halt. But I do agree, it might have been a good idea to communicate this in a better way.

Charlie: According to the man pages all 3, halt, poweroff and reboot, use the shutdown command to perform the necessary steps when not starting in runlevel 0 or 6, which is pretty much always. So it is really weird that in your case poweroff does not work but shutdown does.

If  halt  or  reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage.
[...]
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want.  Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot.

Bonno Bloksma