Re: End of hypocrisy ?

Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 6 Aug 2014 16:25:21 -0400 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> napísal:

> This is from an email by Lennart:
>
> /var/log/messages is *very* badly designed:

(snip)

> It's so bad, that rsyslog upstream even suggests not to use these
> files anymore, but write them in a more modern formatting that leaves
> a bit more information in (such as iso timestamps). But you know
> what? If you do that than all your compatibility is gone too.

Yes, it sounds all as the good reason.

> The interesting things is that "journalctl" is *better* at generating
> the same text stream that is normally contained in /var/log/messages
> than /var/log/messages itself is. "journalctl" can stuff more
> information into it then /var/log/messages. And how does that happen?
> Because we have more data around. We can agument the ouput with colors
> (indicating priorities), we can add additional informational separator
> lines (indicating reboots), we can add add in fields that aren't there
> (such as the tag from the comm field, or the PID). We can timezone
> correct the timestamps (because we have UTC times). And we can filter
> by any of the fields, securely.
>
> So, yeah, /var/log/messages sucks, and journalctl is better at
> generating a compatible output that that file ever was in itself.
>
> I didn't save the URL :(

No problem here.

> > Then what are advantages of the systemd? I see only disadvantages...
>
> I've saved one or two relevant URLs from debian-devel@ pre-CTTE bug
> thread. I can dig them up and post them if you're interested.

Please, give them.

> Personally, I don't care. It's what I have to use so I've learned
> about it and I'm using it. End of story.

It is your opinion and it good for you. But people differs - i cannot
accept something, only because someone develop it. I need to decide, if
this software (change, etc) is good for me (to compare advantages and
disadvantages, if any and then to decide).

You provided good description, thanks! But more and more it seems, that
the systemd (and related daemons) can provide very good things for
large networks (100 server mentioned elsewhere), but it sounds as the
too heavy for small networks. Too heavy not in mean of the requirements
(which i don't want to discuss here), but too heavy in provided
capabilities. Simple, i see usability of only small part of it (for me)
and then it sounds as wasting resources.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk