Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason

On Tue 05 Aug 2014 at 12:32:48 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> Cool! Finally someone who knows it and is on the ground floor. I have
> some questions...

Debian isn't a department store. But if it were you want the penthouse,
which is where the the systemd maintainers reside.

> When I switch to systemd, I'd like to have it as isolated as humanly
> possible, just because I'm a modularity kind of guy.

If you work for Ikea or buy its furniture it's an understandable stance
to take. You boot with systemd but want it to take no part in what
follows. Have you thought of isolating udev and the kernel in the same
way?

> I'm thinking of starting the minimum possible daemons with systemd, and
> starting the rest with daemontools. Of course, I've never before had to
> manage run order in daemontools, so that might be a little challenging,
> but I think I can handle it, even if I have to pull off a kludge.

Most users don't want kludges. What they want is a free, technically
competent system. Over the past 20 years Debian has delivered this time
after time.

Your are, of course, free to pervert this on your own systems. If you
can do the same with daemontools as Debian does with systemd we wish you
all good fortune.

> Another challenge will be to prevent systemd from starting the daemons
> I want to launch with daemontools, even though the package installer
> tells systemd to launch those programs. Is it pretty easy to tell
> systemd not to launch specific daemons?

Someone will point out systemd has documention; inexperienced users have
to be pointed directly to it. An exception can be made for you.

> I will, as usual when I use Debian, start my desktop environment with
> startx or xinit. I usually use Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, dwm or i9. Do you
> think I'll have systemd dependencies with those de's started with
> startx or xinit?

Impossible to answer; you would have to be specific about what you have
on your system. For example, is colord installed?

> What other tips would you have for those of us who want to, to the
> extent possible, keep systemd as nothing more than the first program to
> be booted, and want to reduce as much as possible what other programs
> need to know about systemd and what systemd needs to know about the
> programs I run?

Insofar as the question is understandable, you could first consider
not using fantasy as a basis or motivating factor for building a modern
computer system.