Re: Retaining Older Kernels After Image Update

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sb, 02 aug 14, 12:11:43, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>> [ Wheezy;  3.2.0-4-amd64 ]
>>
>> I've noticed that when I upgrade a kernel image, the prior one appears
>> to be removed.  So, at any time there is only one kernel image in /boot.

I just manually copy the four files in /boot associated with the
working kernel.  I append -knowngood to get new names.  update grup
happily makes boot entries for them.

My copy script is:

#!/bin/bash
for x in *knowngood
do
    ( set -x; cp -p "$x" "${x}-old" )
done
for x in *amd64
do
    ( set -x; cp -p "$x" "${x}-knowngood" )
done

You'll have to replace *amd64 by whatever the right search is for your
kernel.

Of course, I only run this after successful reboot and snif test with
the new kernel.