Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014, Steve Litt wrote:
> Cool! Finally someone who knows it and is on the ground floor. I have
> some questions...
>
> When I switch to systemd, I'd like to have it as isolated as humanly
> possible, just because I'm a modularity kind of guy.
>
> I'm thinking of starting the minimum possible daemons with systemd, and
> starting the rest with daemontools. Of course, I've never before had to
> manage run order in daemontools, so that might be a little challenging,
> but I think I can handle it, even if I have to pull off a kludge.

I'm not sure why you'd also run daemontools in addition to systemd, as
systemd also provides most of the daemontools feature set.

> Is it pretty easy to tell systemd not to launch specific daemons?

systemctl disable foo -t service;

or whatever is appropriate.

> I will, as usual when I use Debian, start my desktop environment with
> startx or xinit. I usually use Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, dwm or i9. Do you
> think I'll have systemd dependencies with those de's started with
> startx or xinit?

That depends on the developers of those DEs. I wouldn't be surprised if
they eventually grew dependencies on libpam-systemd because of the
difficulties of figuring out who is actually a local user without using
that (or a similar interface).

> What other tips would you have for those of us who want to, to the
> extent possible, keep systemd as nothing more than the first program
> to be booted, and want to reduce as much as possible what other
> programs need to know about systemd and what systemd needs to know
> about the programs I run?

I don't have any tips for this, since this isn't a goal of mine; someone
else might, though.

Build a fire for a man, an he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
 -- Jules Bean