Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mon 04 Aug 2014 at 18:04:31 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon 04 Aug 2014 at 17:17:02 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >
> >> Didn't all DEs use consolekit and policykit? IIRC wasn't the CTTE bug
> >> filed because of a debian-devel@ thread about Gnome depending on
> >> systemd (because of logind and/or libpam-systemd)?
> >
> > Consolekit did indeed reign supreme but had been on its way out for some
> > time. The formal proposal to the Ctte was
> >
> >    https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2013/10/msg00019.html
> >
> > Read the rest for a roller-coaster ride.
>
> That made me go back and look(!).
>
> This thread
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/10/msg00444.html
> lead to this thread
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/10/msg00651.html
> which lead to the one that you posted.

Those links nicely encaspulate the issues. To my way of thinking there
are two independent questions to answer.

1. What should be the default init system in Debian?

2. Is it permissable for a package to depend on a particular init
   system?

The Ctte came to a resolution on the first question but declined to rule
on the second.

As we head towards a systemd future, the init package is the result of
1.  system-shim/cgmanager is a consquence of 2.