Re: End of hypocrisy ?

Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Yes, that's what I meant, sysvinit is not broken.

I rather agree.  But the opponents cite corner cases where the
previous security model doesn't handle every possible access case.

I always hate it when people say such vague statements such as
"modern" or "is broken" without actually saying why it is one way or
the other.  After reading months of arguments these next two postings
were the first real postings I had read with any detail in them.
Especially the second one.

These are things that probably 99.44%[1] of the population hasn't ever
needed before.  The 99% where everything works for us are all of us
crying about the disruption.  But for that 0.56% that worried about
those corner cases they see the old system as really broken.  They are
probably right that it is broken for them.  But there are better ways
to go about improving the system than the unpleasant way that systemd
has been rolled out to the community.

I would really like to read more reasonable postings of such details
such as Simon's postings cited above.

> Sure it counts, but if you have 1000s of servers, you likely have many
> other considerations and you'll be pooling [at least] those servers in a
> cluster type arrangement ... much lessening the need for any machine to
> startup so quickly.

How many people here work with RHEL / CentOS?  Have you booted a
CentOS machine lately?  I mostly work with Debian and I have come
expect a reasonably quick boot time (using sysvinit).  Most of my
machines reboot in around 30 seconds using sysvinit and about 10
seconds of that is BIOS POST time which is independent of the system.
Even if booting were twice as fast it would only reduce my boot times
from 30 seconds down to 20 seconds.  There is so little time spent
there that it can't be a win for me.

But when I started rebooting CentOS 5.x and 6.x systems I was shocked
at how long it takes to reboot there!  It takes several minutes for a
fast 8-core workstation to boot.  Minutes!  Maybe five or six minutes
in some cases.  Wow.  I find it truly shocking how long it takes to
boot RHEL / CentOS.  Debian with sysvinit boots hugely faster.

And so I wonder.  Is the entire reason for the push for reboot speed
with systemd due to the problems of RHEL having an extremely slow
boot?  Maybe.  Maybe if RHEL / CentOS hadn't been that slow to boot
then it wouldn't have caused an itch to scratch it.  Maybe if they had
been using Debian with the already quite fast boot times they wouldn't
have felt compelled to rewrite everything.  Maybe.  It is one of those
possible alternate history stories.

Bob

[1] Ivory soap advertises itself as 99.44% pure soap.  I often use
that number when I am just declaring something without actual data.  I
don't know what the number is but is certainly large.