Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mon 04 Aug 2014 at 17:17:02 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> Didn't all DEs use consolekit and policykit? IIRC wasn't the CTTE bug
> filed because of a debian-devel@ thread about Gnome depending on
> systemd (because of logind and/or libpam-systemd)?

Consolekit did indeed reign supreme but had been on its way out for some
time. The formal proposal to the Ctte was

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2013/10/msg00019.html

Read the rest for a roller-coaster ride.

> The problem's that consolekit is abandonware upstream, logind is its
> replacement, policykit removed consolekit support, and logind requires
> systemd as pid 1 (or systemd-shim).

Consolekit is still supported by GNOME but no longer developed. Xfce
continues to use it; for how long we do not know.