Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 07/22/2014 11:56 AM, Erwan David wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:25:22PM CEST, Don Armstrong
> <don@debian.org> said:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Erwan David wrote:
>>
>>> I lokked at it. I do not know how to remove this quiet on command
>>> line which seems to have appeared. Did systemd change grub
>>> configuration ? Or did rather change grub semantics ?
>>
>> It's the default in Debian. Edit /etc/default/grub and remove quiet
>> from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.
>
> Fine, Ill test this (and systemd.show_status) at next boot.

I strongly suspect that this won't produce the desired result.

The kernel and systemd apparently both react to 'quiet', where sysvinit
does not. This means that you can't pass the 'quiet' option to the
kernel without also passing it to systemd.

Under sysvinit, as I understand matters:

If you use 'quiet' on the kernel command line, you will get init-system
log messages, but not kernel log messages. This was the
Debian-configured default.

If you leave out 'quiet' on the kernel command line, you will get both
kernel log messages and init-system log messages.

Under systemd as I understand it:

If you use 'quiet' on the kernel command line, you will get neither
kernel log messages nor init-system log messages.

If you leave out 'quiet' on the kernel command line and don't add
anything else, you will get both kernel log messages and init-system log
messages.

If you leave out 'quiet' on the kernel command line and add
'systemd.show_status=false', you will get kernel log messages, but not
init-system log messages.

As far as I can see, there is no way to get init-system log messages
without also getting kernel log messages - unless either the kernel
starts conditioning its messages on something other than 'quiet' (almost
certainly not happening), or systemd stops reacting to 'quiet' alone.

Thus, unless I'm missing something, the previous (Debian-configured)
default *can no longer be achieved at all*. That seems like a decidedly
undesirable state of affairs, which is why I hope I am indeed missing
something.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.