Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-07-19 00:22 +0200, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> And finally, note that the guy's email doesn't specifically recommend
>> systemd, and as a matter of fact seems to gravitate toward upstart,
>
> This is quite easily explained by the fact that his mail predates the
> first systemd release by seven months. Now, why did Debian not switch
> to upstart back then? There are likely several reasons for this, and
> answering that question will be an interesting case study. The one
> thing that put *me* off from giving upstart a try is the conflict with
> sysvinit, FWIW.

Indeed. The systemd "strategy" of having systemd co-installable with
sysvinit and using a kernel cmdline option to use systemd as pid 1 was
very good.

Ubuntu switched to upstart in one go and expected others to do the
same (as Fedora did with v9 and RHEL with v6) so the upstart
developers didn't think of the above option.