Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:46:32 +0100
Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, my instances of icedove, kvirc, iceweasel, the steam client,
> sgt-loopy (launched from shells in now-closed lxterminal instances)
> are all running just fine (I habitually close terminals I've launched
> GUI applications from, because I'm seldom interested in reading
> gerbil spew from the windowing toolkit) - and all appear to have been
> reparented to PID 1 as you'd expect for a process whose original
> parent has exited.

Cool! I just got the same results on my system, *unless* I closed the
terminal with the window manager's close window command (Alt+F4 on
most wm's, Alt+0 on my heavily tweaked dwm). In that one case,
terminating the lxterminal terminated iceweasel. This same behavior is
observed in the Suckless Tools st terminal: If you close the terminal
with the exit command, iceweasel stays resident.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the way things worked 11 years ago, when I
made my double-fork to launch a GUI program and then terminate what
launched it.

I discovered this also: If I have the following junk.sh, it runs
iceweasel with parent process 1:

#!/bin/bash
iceweasel &

I have to test more, but if systemd trashes my doubleforks, it appears
I might have techniques that will work in systemd and the older init
systems.

Thanks!

SteveT