Re: UEFI

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 22:13:21 +0200
Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch> wrote:

> So this for me sums up the question: if your computer is to run linux
> only (as was the OP's), there is no reason to use UEFI/GPT but for
> the need for partitions over 2 TB.

And, for eighty bucks more you can get a small (256GB) SSD mounted
as /, put nothing on it but /usr and /opt and possibly /boot, formatted
mbr, putting everything else on a UEFI 3TB disk, and booting to the
SSD. I did this on my daily driver, although unfortunately one of my
big disks was a WD green, and you guys were right: There's too much
latency with those things to use as a workstation disk. When I do :s in
Vim, it takes a half a second to complete, and that's disturbing. In a
few months I'll replace it with a WD black.

SteveT