Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 09/07/14 22:00, Steve Litt wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 15:21:55 +0100
Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:
Running a program in the background from a shell in an xterm (and
even closing the xterm afterwards) works fine; indeed, that's how I
launched the instance of Icedove I'm typing this e-mail in.

Yeah, but what happens to the background program when you exit the
xterm, assuming you didn't precede the command with nohup, which
carries all sorts of security and file size baggage?

Well, my instances of icedove, kvirc, iceweasel, the steam client, sgt-loopy (launched from shells in now-closed lxterminal instances) are all running just fine (I habitually close terminals I've launched GUI applications from, because I'm seldom interested in reading gerbil spew from the windowing toolkit) - and all appear to have been reparented to PID 1 as you'd expect for a process whose original parent has exited.