Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 09/07/14 14:40, Mark Carroll wrote:
Hang on, that sounds scary. I'll still be able to launch something
from the shell (maybe in an xterm) with a trailing & to put it in
the background, and then log out and it will keep on going, right?

Running a program in the background from a shell in an xterm (and even closing the xterm afterwards) works fine; indeed, that's how I launched the instance of Icedove I'm typing this e-mail in.

What (per Tom H's mail) requires additional configuration (so, the problem appears to have a solution) is getting that program to keep running past the end of the login session.