Re: Early access to a console (during runlevel 1)

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Curt wrote:
> > Chris Bannister wrote:
> > >
> > > May I suggest Qualitative Maintenance as a better strategy.
> > >
> > > http://assetinsights.net/Glossary/G_Qualitative_Maintenance.html
> > >
> > > (as opposed to Preventative Maintenance.)
> >
> > I, for one (well), prefer Preventive Maintenance to Preventative
> > Maintenance, and Quality Maintenance to Qualitative Maintenance.
>
> e.g. It was quality maintenance being done but unfortunately the wrong
> type of maintenance was being performed too often.
>
>  * quality maintenance - tasks done to a high standard.
>  * qualitative maintenance - tasks carefully chosen to extend the
>    longevity and performance of a device.
>  * preventative maintenance - series of tasks done at specified
>    intervals (without regard to longevity and performance of a device.)
>    IOW, do the tasks cause unnecessary wear and tear themselves?

I am in agreement.  Good discussion.  But since we are talking what
metrics can be used for fsck type of maintenance?  For disk space we
can follow the amount of free space available.  But for known when an
fsck check should be performed there is pretty much only time and
number of mounts but neither of those seem particularly good at
predicting a problem.  They are just the best that we have available.

In order to use a Qualitative/Quality type of schedule it would seem
that we would need some way to measure said Quality.  What would be
used for that metric?  And if there isn't any then I don't think that
type of schedule can be applied.

Bob